Monday, November 7, 2011

The "Show"

Last Saturday, I participated in my first "show".  As I told you last week, a local antique store was having a sidewalk sale and offered spaces for vendors to come in and sell their wares.  So, since my house was beginning to look like a furniture store, I decided I'd give it a try.  I didn't have a ton of stuff (thank goodness) but here is a look at some of it:

I say "some" because by this time, I had already sold a few things.  This picture was taken around 9:30.

It was quite windy out, so I was unable to set my signs on easels on top of the furniture as I had planned.  They kept blowing over.

I didn't sell nearly what I had hoped but I managed to sell enough that I have a little space back.  Plus, some of this will be headed to the Fancy Flea Market next week in Lakeland so it's all good.

Interestingly, one of the first things I sold was this:

At the last minute, I decided to make this DREAM banner.   I hung it across the front of the desk (but you don't see it in the picture because it was already sold).

The lady that bought it asked me for my card which I gave to her along with my phone number.  I'll admit that I rarely give out my phone number but for some reason, I simply gave it to her without thinking.

Well, yesterday after church, I received a phone call from this lady.


She ordered eight more!  Count them...1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8!

She would like 7 of them to have the names of her grand children and the 8th will say Dream.

I was very excited.

OK...to many of you, this would be no big deal.  But I'll admit that I have been very (VERY) tentative to put myself out there.  I keep telling myself "This is a HOBBY".  Don't take it seriously.  So I haven't.  Plus, I enjoy my leisurely lifestyle and the flexibility that I have to go do things with my kids whenever I want to. 

But I just can't keep everything I love to make and do so, I guess the next thing to do is to sell it.  So for months, I've considered opening an Etsy store just so I have a venue for the things I love to make. 

 But I don't want the selling part of it to become an obsession.  If it falls in my lap like this order for 8 banners, then great.  But actually trying to drum up business is not what I have in mind.  That is why you haven't seen an announcement from me regarding my Etsy Store. 

But...look for me to do so in the coming days. 

In the mean time, I thought I'd share my fall mantel with you along with my first "Dream" banner. 



Oh...and I almost forgot to mention....That pumpkin painting on my mantel is a one I did at Painting With A Twist.  Read about my first visit there here.

Happy Fall ya'll!

10 comments:

  1. Yay for you!! you're so talented you NEED to consider this a business. Always love your signs and that pumpkin painting is wonderful! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mantel looks great! The pumpkin picture....great job! I pray your new adventure goes well. and you get lots of orders for the signs...they are gorgeous. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did good, Fran! I'm sure the next one will be even better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to try to make it down to Lakeland this Saturday, my son is going to be in town from DC, but I know he has to study some time!!! I will say hi if I make it

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. You articulated how I feel about the whole hobby/business thing. No etsy shop for me at this point...I worry that getting too obsessed with the business side would hamper my enjoyment of the process!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats Fran! It is so nice when things happen that way! Love the banner and your mantle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So fun and congratulations on your budding business, watch out it has a life of it's own, all good!! Our last house had the same fireplace that you have. Exact same tile. However our bricks hadn't been painted. Although I wish I had the guts to do it. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You go girl! That is very exciting, and yes keeping it in perspective is key. Enjoy what you are doing and don't look at it as a job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am glad you could sell some of the furniture and 'stuff' you had cluttering your house. Your banner is real cute. It is great somebody wanted you to make her some! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so exciting that she called and ordered more! I'm so happy for you. And how appropriate that you had DREAM on it! I'd like to clear some things out of here as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks to all the junk mail senders, I now must enable word verification. My sincere apologies. But if you are a REAL person, I'd love the hear from you!