Thursday, January 19, 2012

Monochromatic Winter Mantel

After Christmas, I - like everyone else who has a fireplace - had to figure out what I was going to put on my mantel after I took down the Christmas decor.

It's winter but I live in Florida so I came up with a Winter White theme with a beachy twist.


Just so you know, I don't believe starfish (at least not this species) are native to the Gulf of Mexico so it is highly unlikely that you'll be walking down the beach here and find one laying there waiting to be brought home and placed on your mantel.  No -  I bought mine just like most everyone else.


I simply like them so I've incorporated them into my decor here and there.


Having a mirror on my mantel is something I have not done in many years and there has always been a reason for that.

You can see it in the picture below...

Yep, there it is...the light fixture. 

You may think that it doesn't look that bad...but when I first put the mirror up years ago, you would not be able to NOT notice that the light fixture was simply not mounted flush to the ceiling.  For some reason, when Mr. 1101 first hung it, he just couldn't get it to straighten out.  But you could only see it if you were looking at it while standing in front of the fireplace OR via a reflection from a mirror over the fireplace.  So, it was easier to remove the mirror.

But, inspired by other bloggers who were using mirrors on the mantel,  I decided to drag mine back out.  This time when I saw the reflection, I immediately noticed that the fixture was practically dangling from it's wires!!! 

That prompted an immediate repair by Mr. 1101 and when he did, lots of plaster fell from around the hole in the ceiling.



But all turned out well because we found a lovely ceiling medallion to hide the hole and now, the light even hangs straight!


But -  I digress...  On to the mantel...

This mirror was gold...

(Just starting to decorate for Christmas...notice the missing light fixture!)

...But gold is out so I painted it antique white and aged it with a little glaze.

And viola!  A new look using all old or natural "stuff".



The antique bottles are part of my collection from my grandparents farm and the pine cones ARE native (picked them up from Ft. Desoto Park where we camped last week).


And there you have it...a Florida Winter Mantel.


And in case you are wondering...those are real ashes in the fireplace.  We actually do like to have a fire in the fireplace occasionally...even if we have to turn on the AC!




Linkin' Up Here:

Common Ground
Table Top Tuesday
Happy Hour Projects
Feathered Nest Projects
Faded Charm
House in the Roses
Between Naps on the Porch

13 comments:

  1. It looks great, Fran! I love the mirror and the candles reflected in front of it. I have a similar mirror {which was also gold and just a little bit larger} but I painted mine oil rubbed bronze and used some gold rub n buff on the details a couple of years ago. It will be getting a new paint job very soon; I want to use it in my master this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, my name is Heather! Please email me when you can, I have a question about your blog!

    HeatherVonSJ[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love your mantle,...the starfish makes it pop. I would love it if you would share at Link It Up Thursday. http://thesepeastastefunny.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the combination of textures on your mantle. Very nice!
    Your newest follower, Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your mantel is beautiful! I always find it interesting how where we live - by region - inspires how we decorate, regardless of our decorating tastes. I live in the Pacific Northwest and even though I love all kinds of styles, a Pacific Northwest flair can almost always be seen in my work. I really like how you used your vertical space as well. Take care!

    Shari
    http://www.turnstylevogue.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. You mirror is beautiful painted white, as is your mantle scape. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all the white and layers on your mantel.
    Holly @ down to earth style

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the way it turned out Fran! Yes, I bought my starfish as well. I don't really find many shells around here either.
    I remember Ft. DeSoto! It's been years since I've been there. I'm sure it's a lot different around there now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your mantel looks lovely, makes me want to be at the beach. I can't believe your light fixture was just hanging by the wires...yikes! I have installed some in our home, and they aren't tight to the ceiling, now I am going to be looking at them every time I enter the room. I like how your bricks are white, would love to paint my mine, but I am too afraid I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely! Your mantle vignette is charming. I believe everything happens for a reason. We had almost the same thing happen in our family room. Thank goodness we also saw it before it literally fell out of the ceiling.

    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, I also live in Florida so I love your style! It's a fine line we walk here between coastal or Key West and just plain Florida tacky! You did a great job with the mantel and I love how you mixed all the textures. I am your newest follower! Thanks for sharing.

    Robin
    Robin Flies South

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful mantel! I love monochromatic decor! I will be following along via google reader to catch more of your style.

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  13. So lovely- i love the white on white themes~Thank you for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks to all the junk mail senders, I now must enable word verification. My sincere apologies. But if you are a REAL person, I'd love the hear from you!