Thursday, January 3, 2013

Flatware Wind Chime & Simplicity

Some people seem to live for Christmas and could have Christmas year round.  I, unfortunately, have always been an "every other year" kind of gal.  I love it every other year.  You know...all the planning, the decorating, the entertaining, the shopping, the cleaning, the hoping no one is disappointed type stuff.  It would be better if it occurred ever 24 months...not every 12.

After all these years, I've finally recognized a pattern.  Yep...I get excited every OTHER year. 

This wasn't the year. 

I have to admit it.  I'm glad the holidays are almost over and life can get back to normal.

Don't get me wrong...I love Christmas for what it ought to be...a celebration of Christ's birth and God's gift to us.  It's all the other hype that goes with it that I could do without - every other year.

I can hear you gasping as we speak.  I know I'm not supposed to feel that way but I do.  Sorry.

So...now we are moving on to January.  (Of course, 10 years ago I had to go and have a baby on January 2nd so, of course, we were still celebrating a birthday as of yesterday. (I can't believe my baby is 10, by the way)).

But here we are on January the 3rd and I'm ready to SIMPLIFY.  Again.

Yep...SIMPLIFY is my word of the month. 

So, I took a little time to simplify and be creative.  I haven't had time for creativity in quite some time (as you can tell by my blog). 

I'd been wanting to make more wind chimes for a while...



When my yard-saling buddy gave me these beautiful crystal prism's as a Christmas gift because she knew I loved to create things, I could hardly wait for a spare moment to get busy.



I just love the way the sun makes the prism's sparkle when it hits at the perfect angle.


She also gave me a few vintage, silver-plated forks which she knows I'm always scouting for.

I wish you could hear the chimes.  These big silver-plated spoons make such a lovely sound.


When the sun hits the prism's, they sparkle and look like little sparks of fire.

OK.  I'll confess at this point. 

I made this set for the friend that gave me the prisms.  BUT  I'm keeping it.  I just love it.

No...I'll probaly give it to her.  I have enough silverware to make another set.  So, maybe I'll keep that set.  Although, I have another friend with a birthday...

Well, one day I'll make a set for myself.  Until, then I enjoy giving them to friends when they least expect a gift. 

Truth is...I'd rather give gifts when I don't have to.  Not at Christmas when people expect gifts.  I never seem to be able to buy for people under pressure.

I do so much better when I just see something that reminds me of someone and I just give it to them. 

I know I sound like a grinch and perhaps I was a little of that over the holidays.  I wish I was "normal".  Next year will be different!  It will be my "on" year, I'm sure.

So...am I the only one that thinks we should do the hype every OTHER year?

Happy New Year everyone.

14 comments:

  1. I am totally with you on the every other year thing! There is so much in this post that I can relate to. I'm better at buying gifts for people when I don't have to. When I'm out shopping and just see something that reminds me of someone, I'd rather just buy it then and give it to them unexpectedly.

    Love those wind chimes. The prisms are beautiful! I have a couple of old sets of silver that I really should do something with. Some day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, how about every 3 years instead??? You are not alone, this past Christmas was sort of a torture, I literally did not want to take any decorations out, I was just not in the mood, and yes, I have noticed I'm less excited about it as I get older, but the kids love it, so I drag thru it...every year.

    Love your wind chimes, how did you manage to loop the forks into such fun twists? I have always had a soft spot for wind chimes, sadly, I only have one....I need to see if I could make one like yours.

    Hope you had a great new years.

    Kristel

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the holidays--but when it is over I am always happy to get it all put away. Your utensil chime is just lovely! Happy 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your chime is so pretty. I bet it's gorgeous with the sun shining on it. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anything that sparkles grabs my attention, but I absolutely love this crystal windchime. Thank you for sharing. Patti

    ReplyDelete
  6. 28 years ago I had a bouncing baby girl.... on New Years Day. Yeah I can't believe that's how old she is either!

    Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  7. We had our last sweet child on Christmas Eve 13 years ago! We gained another teenager this year and life is good! :) I adore those windchimes. I need those wind chimes on my front porch. :) I'm gonna feature this today lady. Thank you sooo much for linking up. Don't tell my kiddos but I completely agree with you on the whole every other year thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved everything here !!! loved your blog very much. Great inspiration . Love, Sherry @ The Rusty Pearl . Check us out and follow would love to have you .. HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  9. SO glad I'm not the only one who feels that way about Christmas. Every other year would be PERFECT for me! Those wind chimes are adorbs! Thanks for sharing.
    xoxo,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Fran! Just been missing you and wanted to give you a long distance HUG! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am with you on Christmas every other year. Love the addition of crystal to your windchime. I have been thinking about making one of these for awhile now - I think you just gave me the nudge to get one done! Hope you can stop by the enchanted oven to say hi.
    xo,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am the same way. I love it every once in a while I just can’t get behind Christmas every year. I love the word of the month. The silver spoons are a different outlook on a traditional wind chime but they are charming. Thank you for posting.


    My homepage | Online PhD UK Programs

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am thinking about getting some wind chimes for my meditation. They are really nice to listen to when the wind just passes through. Meditation has been a very good time for me to just think. http://www.wjgmercentile.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks to all the junk mail senders, I now must enable word verification. My sincere apologies. But if you are a REAL person, I'd love the hear from you!